winter in korea #5 : Detour

August 22, 2016

I know it's kinda long overdue... nevertheless, here's my fifth story.



On my second day in Seoul I decided that I'm going to visit the City Hall for... no particular reason actually. It's just the building is actually an extension of the old building and it was shaped of curved glass. In warmer days, it's also possible to do picnic on the lawn in front of the City Hall so I decided to just see what it would look like.
The Seoul City Hall

The museum displays were right under your feet



After that, I was going to look for some souvenirs in Nandaemun Market, so after spending some time in City Hall, I went to ask directions from the people on the information desk. But before I did, I found something I had miss in the guide book before. It was featuring places near the City Hall and it said that in the Seoul Museum of History, they have a permanent exhibition of a Seoul's scale model.

I seriously had a thing on city miniature! (and if it's not for the guide book, I must have missed it) that's why I was soooo excited and immediately change my route for the day. To the information desk, I asked the direction to Seoul Museum of History instead.

The girls on the information desk draw the route on my map. She said it was easily reached by walking. By my own experience, walking distance in another country is definitely not the distance I would walk in my own hometown, so I was kind of prepared of a bit longer journey. Besides, it was easy. Go straight, and then go left. I can do this.

I started my journey, walking to the direction of Gyeongbokgung Palace I visit the day before. The weather was cold, but I guess it wasn't as cold as the day I visit the palace and on that day, I had my gloves on (win!).

While walking, I noticed that there are sign directing to the Cheonggyecheon Stream. It was a place I reeeeeaaaalllly wanted to cover on my trip to Seoul. You know, with the history and public spaces and everything. I know it might not look as warm as the photograph since it's winter, but I definitely can miss this. So, I decided to visit the stream after I went to the museum before the Nandaemun.

But then, the statue that marks the Cheonggye Plaza was right in front of me. Oh well, why not change the plan to visit the museum after this. I've already there anyway.

Towards Cheonggye Plaza

I walked along the stream (which is the opposite way of my next destination), took a picture of strangers, watch carefully as a kid whining because he was afraid to step on the big stepping stones to cross the stream and wishing it was at least spring already.


The stream on winter. Not enough sun to melt the ice.

After some time, I stopped because it was the opposite direction and I have had enough of the stream in the winter. I decided to walk back, passing the Tourist Information on my way back and visit the building (because I read somewhere that the place had toilet with bidet and pray room (in short, because of no particular reason)).

Until then, I have walked for more than 1 km and definitely away from my city scale-model.

I did visit the Tourist Information though and making sure of my route. The officer told me that I need to cross the road using the subway exits and I'll be on my way to the museum. Other than that, the building was pretty cool. They had guides in several languages and also some VR Equipment.

How far I was willing to walk for a 1:1500 city scale model? Apparently, 20 minutes or more. After a short visit to the Tourist Information, I walked along the Cheonggyecheon to my first place and turn left to cross the roads via subway exits. I actually found another Tourist Information stand but I refrain myself from visiting the place to ask for more directions because I was so sure I was on the right direction.

And no, I wasn't wrong, I was just a bit panic because the street becomes a bit narrow and there are so many people walking. I was afraid I had made a wrong turn, but after a while of walking straight, there's a sign of directing towards the Seoul Museum of History. There's truly an achievement and satisfaction on finding the way to the museum on my own that I regard the fact that I have been walking for around 3 km.

There you are

Outdoor exhibition piece
The building was standing there, big and welcoming in brown with a spacious outdoor area that was also used as an exhibition space. City Scale Model, I'm coming.

The museum was warm and bustling with people. Apparently, there were another exhibition about H.C. Andersen and there were many children visiting with their parents.

The feel was kind of different there. The museum had no ancient or old feeling to them. The building was big with a high ceiling. A transparent wall on the opposite side of the entrance shows another outdoor exhibition space.

City Scale Model, here I come
The permanent exhibition was on the second floor and I went in and I was in awe. It was big, just like in Singapore, but it had a glass platform on top of them, so it was like looking on Google Earth, only in 3D.

My third city scale model!
The glass platform
The rest of the museum was also very exciting. It shows a complete guide to South Korea's culture and national history. There were a booth where you can learn how to fold paper Hanbok and there were also more miniature of South Korea's typical houses and neighborhood in certain year.

I think that was one of my best museum experience yet.

Seoul then and now
Display on Seoul Museum of HIstory
***

Looking back, I was grateful for the guide book and how the people in Seoul City Hall told me to walk to the museum. I was grateful for the detour. I got to see the Cheonggyecheon, being in awe for such a wonderful museum displays in both City Hall and Seoul Museum of History, feeling the satisfaction of navigating myself in a place I've never been and had the chance to walk the distance I never walked in my own country.

Last but not least, I learn more about the importance of planning a trip without losing the joy in exploring the city.

Anyway, see you in #6!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive