Singapore Trip : A List for Book-Place Hopping

April 28, 2017

(I legit want to have it titled A List for Nerdy-Spot Hopping but I'm not sure if that's a correct use of words xp)


Years back, I often stumble into quizzes in which you need to answer several questions about a topic and write them on your blog/facebook notes just to tell things about yourself. One of the topic was about reading and there's always this one question that makes me wonder : what is the title of the book you last checked out from the library?

My answer would always be academic reference book because that is what a library is about almost my whole life and the closest library to me is the university library. When I was a kid though, when I went to my grandparents' house, my grandmother sometimes took me to the public library and l read a lot of Baby Sitter's Club books but that's the only non-academic experience about library and its been a looooong time ago.

The last time I was in Singapore, I had this chance to totally channeling my reading-self (since I mostly exploring the city alone) by visiting a lot of books-related places. Here are the list and maybe it could be the next place on your list too.

1. Bras Basah Complex

Search Bras Basah Complex in google and you'll find that the place is often associated with books. I was interested to visit the complex after reading this post about second-hand books there. When I visit this place on my second day, I think there's some kind of second-hand book fair right in the center of the building. It was huge and the deal was soooo good (like, 10 SGD for 3 books in fair condition!).


still regret for not buying :(

I didn't end up buying for myself though (the cheapskate cell taking over) because I pack light and there's seriously no room for anything if I decided to buy anything (that was my reasoning, but I definitely regret it now -,-) so I only bought two for a friend of mine.

BEST DEAL!!
Other than that, I also visit Cat Socrates, a cute souvenir shops in the second floor of the building. If you don't have much time, you can always search the internet for shops in Bras Basah Complex, write down their number and visit them accordingly. But I believe there must be hidden gems in this complex I haven't found (and so, another reason for me to go there again).


cutest postcards and things you never know you needed :)

If you do visit here, be careful with the escalator (ha!), and took your time to explore the rows of the shops. You might get some interesting vintage shots, book related.

2. National Library

I visit this place on a whim since I need to cross the street to go to Bras Basah Complex and this building positioned right in the junction next to it, and so I decided to visit this first. National Library Singapore was a huuuuge and tall building like most office building in Jakarta. I don't even believe myself when I read that there's an exhibition on level 10 (like, what library is more than 10 stories? I surely am visiting a whole new world).
Bugis area from National Library
Anyway, since there's a security in every level in the entrance to the collection, I wasn't exploring the inside of the library because I'm not sure if I was allowed to be inside. I was just taking the escalators to see whether the library really has 10 stories or more or not (me and my messed up priorities). When I about to exit the building though, I found out this place has a fiction collection in its lower ground. So I went there for a bit and, sighed, how to have that kind of library in my own city?
fiction collection

3. Bishan Public Library
Bishan Public Library
On my first trip I was actually planning to visit this library for one sole reason of seeing a building that was featured in Archdaily. I couldn't make it back then so I did plan to visit this library on my third day.

Bishan was about 12 km from the Downtown Core (MBS, Merlion Park, etc) and I was going there by MRT and planning to went back to Orchard by bus. The library is nicely located right next to the MRT and bus station so it wasn't hard for me to find it.

book-related quotes on the ramp's wall
The building is a bit smaller than the National Library and there is no security. The first level is for magazine and a coffee shop and also a space for children. At the left side of the entrance, there's a ramp to the second floor which is the place for fiction collection and at the end of the room, there's a separate place for study with desk and tables.

I picked up a book randomly and read there, just because xp.

the book I picked up! almost staying for the rest of the day
The next two level was pretty much the same except there are some hanging study room with colorful glasses. You can see these rooms from the outside and even gets into one if there's an empty one (I was afraid though :p).

4. Library @ Orchard

My friend visited this on her trip once and I can't believe I missed that (turns out it wasn't even there on May 2014, so...). The library was located in the third floor of Orchard Gateway. Yup, in the middle of a bustling shopping mall in a shopping street. A total oasis.


What I love about this library is that it's just soooo pretty. Once you stepped inside, there's a different feeling from the hectic Orchard Road you've just been. It has this elegantly designed shelves and reading nook in the second floor (or fourth floor). The fiction collection? Wow it was mad. I mean, I even went mad for seeing books in a book fair in which I can't obtain without paying. What is the reason for me not to be mad when all the books are there for free.

Anyway, I spend a longer time here since I was waiting for my brother for lunch. I told you, it was a wonderful place to read. I even went there again to read in the afternoon before meeting my brother again in MBS.

Reading space with city view
If you went to Orchard Road with some friends and you prefer to read rather than to shop, just spend your time here. A. Total. Sanctuary.

5. Books Actually and Woods in the Books


This is also a destination I missed on my first trip; a hip bookstore and a children bookstore in Tiong Bahru area. I didn't spend too much time there since there's only so much time you can spend on a running store without intention to buy anything. But visiting both book store was actually enjoyable for me. Especially because both are an aesthetically pleasing store.

no taking pictures inside
vending machine for books!
Other than that, the neighborhood was kind of pretty and there are some hip eating place around too.

6. Library @ Esplanade

I visit Library @ Esplanade on my last day just before I had to go to the airport. It was an art library where you can see a room for dance practice and rows of, instead of book, audio and visual collection related to dance, music, and movie. The interior of this library is pretty but the collection itself was segmented. But it was still a good place to visit as an addition to the Esplanade.


artworks outside the library
***

Visiting all these book-related places makes me feel totally elated. Some people might related to this and some people might not, but in a way, it's like finding my own hiding place. Especially those library, how if I have one here in my own country, I would definitely spend most of my time there :). Cheers for better library near your area in the future!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive